South Kolkata bank fire triggers panic

KOLKATA: A out inside the Harish Mukherjee Road branch of a private bank on Sunday afternoon. Six fire tenders, which were sent to the spot, doused the flames in an hour. Nobody was injured, said a fire services official.

The fire, an official said, broke out at the central fixed on the false ceiling at the front desk. A fire fighter said a short circuit had probably triggered the fire. “A probe is on to ascertain the exact cause of fire. Forensic samples will be collected soon,” said an official.

Around 2.30pm on Sunday, locals panicked after noticing smoke in a narrow lane beside the bank. The ATM of another bank is located in the same lane. After they informed fire services officials, one fire tender was sent from the nearby Kalighat fire station.

Since the bank was closed, one of the shutters in the lane had to be broken, but the source of fire could not be detected. More fire tenders were rushed to the spot as smoke was seen coming out of several points of the three-storey building.

The firefighters then broke the main entrance to get inside. They also broke two other shutters to spray water inside.

But they still couldn’t locate the source of fire. They suspected that the fire had spread to other floors after seeing smoke coming out of a washroom located on the first floor.

A total of six fire tenders were sent to the spot and the fire fighters finally found that the flames broke out at the central AC duct on the false ceiling. Fire services officials said that there was no major damage. “Only some chairs and other furniture at the front desk were damaged. The fire was doused by 3.40pm,” said an official.
Download The Times of India for Latest .

Receive News & Ratings Via Email - Enter your email address below to receive a concise daily summary of the latest news and analysts' ratings with our FREE daily email newsletter.